Services Fire Suppression Systems and Special Hazard Technology
Expert installation and maintenance of equipment lowers risk and protects against the threat of fire. ARA Fire design, install and service the fire suppression systems and special hazard technologies outlined below.
For more information on Fire Suppression Systems or Special Hazard Technology, please contact Martin McGettrick, ARA General Manager Special Hazards, on Mob: 0425 357 422 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Oxygen Reduction Fire Prevention Systems
FirePASS® Oxygen Reduction Fire Prevention, is a revolutionary fire prevention technology. Oxygen Reduction Fire Prevention Systems are designed to prevent fire from occurring by reducing and maintaining oxygen at non-combustible levels.
FirePASS prevents fire proactively thereby eliminating damage and business interruption that occurs when suppressing a fire after it has already started. The key to the technology is that oxygen reduced (hypoxic) air is produced by partly filtering out oxygen from ambient atmospheric air. Normal atmosphere contains 21% oxygen. The air put into the protected space is 15% oxygen and 84% nitrogen (1% is made up of other gases). A fire cannot start in this environment. Common flammable solid materials and liquids cannot be ignited with an oxygen level below 16%.
Unmatched fire safety: FirePASS achieves the ultimate goal in fire protection - Fire prevention. FirePASS prevents fire instead of suppressing fire after ignition
Safe for People: FirePASS produces and uses breathable air for fire prevention
Environmentally Friendly: FirePASS uses natural, ambient air as its resource – no chemicals or gases are involved. The FirePASS agent is simply oxygen-reduced (hypoxic) air
- Designed, engineered and manufactured to customer requirements and specifications.
- Easily installed into existing premises as well as in newly built spaces
- Installation requires simple, zero-pressure piping to each protected area and to ambient air outside and wiring of the oxygen monitoring units in the protected areas
- Generators require very little maintenance – a cycle of 6 months is typical
- Can fit any application ranging from self-contained units for smaller volumes, to vast systems for large buildings, protecting single or multiple rooms and compartments
- Can be used as an alternative, but also as a complementary or supplementary option that enhances conventional fire-safety without interfering with performance
- Patented and proven technology
- Globally approved
In additional to protecting stored goods from fire, oxygen reduction systems offer added value when used to protect organic materials, historical documents, artifacts and valuable goods. The deterioration of materials and stored goods is strongly diminished due to the air’s reduced oxygen content. This will slow or even stop the oxidation process.
- Data Centres / Server Rooms
- Electrical Switchrooms
- Control Rooms in power plants
- Hazardous materials storage
- Food storage areas / deep freeze / cold storage rooms
- Libraries / Museums / Archive Rooms
For more information on FirePASS Oxygen Reduction Fire Prevention Systems, please view www.arafirepass.com.au
Clean Agent (Gaseous) Fire Suppression Systems
- Protect sensitive equipment.
- Custom-engineered to quickly suppress fires and protect critical assets without causing harm to people or the environment.
- The system discharges a clear, colourless and odourless agent that instantly vaporizes upon discharge and quickly evaporates once the threat has passed.
- Safe for people; provides the widest safety margin of any chemical clean agent available.
- Safe for the planet; an ozone depletion potential of 0.0, a global warming potential of 1.0 and an atmospheric lifetime of five days – the cleanest, most environment-friendly chemical agent in existence.
- Australian Standards AS ISO 14520 approved, FM Global approved, UL listed.
- Clean agent systems are used in areas where an electrically non-conductive medium is required, where electronic systems cannot be shut-down in an emergency and in normally occupied areas that demand a non-toxic agent:
- Computer server rooms
- Data processing and data storage centres
- Hospitals and medical centres
- Financial institutions
- Power generation plants
- Aviation facilities
- Military facilities
- Critical electronic infrastructure
Clean Agent Fire Suppression System Discharge
Restaurant Fire Suppression Systems
- A cost-effective means of protecting cooking environments.
- Fires are quickly detected and suppressed.
- Liquid fire suppressant is discharged, resulting in rapid flame knockdown, cooling of hot surfaces and generation of a vapour-securing blanket; critical in preventing reflash and minimising restaurant downtime.
- Australian Standards AS 3772-2008 approved, NFPA 17A compliant, UL listed
- Hotel kitchens
- Gourmet restaurants
- Food courts
- Fast-food chains
- Sports complexes
- Convenience stores
- Other food service kitchens
Restaurant Suppression System Installation
Vehicle Fire Suppression Systems
- Fire protection for a variety of off-road vehicles in industries ranging from surface and underground mining, power generation, transportation, waste processing, to forestry and agriculture.
- Proven technology of external gas cartridge providing constant nozzle pressure for duration of discharge.
- "Life-of-Cylinder" extinguishing agents; no annual discharge and recharge of system required.
- Reduced equipment down-time.
- Reduced service costs for life of suppression agent.
- Multiple configuration/design options.
- Australian Standards AS 5062-2006 approved, FM Global approved, UL listed.
Mine Vehicle Suppression Installation
Room Integrity Fan Testing
In conjunction with design and installation of Gas Suppression Systems, ARA Fire carries out Room Integrity Fan Testing. This testing is required prior to installation of gas suppression systems and whenever rooms have been refurbished. It is critical to ensure the systems will work effectively when activated and retain enough concentration of the extinguishing agent to assure no re-ignition of the fire.
The purpose of a room integrity test is to determine the room’s ability to contain the extinguishing agent for a minimum period of 10 minutes, as defined by Australian Standard AS1851 2005 and 2012. Our Room Integrity Fan Testing accurately predicts the room’s pressurisation and identifies any leaks in the room. The test predicts the length of time the extinguishing agent will remain at the correct concentration to effectively suppress the fire.
Our experience shows that even the best maintained rooms suffer with unknown penetrations that can cause leakages. Cable penetrations and holes in walls and ceilings introduce leaks that may not be identified during normal building inspections. That is why the Australian Standard requires a Room Integrity Fan Test each year.
ARA Fire’s testing unit measures leakages, and maps out the location of the leaks so the room can be properly sealed. Testing is quick and unobtrusive. Room Integrity Fan Testing can be organised at a time that will not disrupt your usual operations. It is an essential, yet simple, component of your fire protection maintenance regime.
The test is environmentally friendly and does not require the system to be discharged to carry out the test.
ARA Fire has Level 3 Inspector Certification. Testing kits are calibrated to perform Room Fan Integrity Tests on all forms of rooms and structures that have automatic gaseous fire suppression systems of any type, as per the requirements of AS1851 2005 / 2012.
Aqueous (Foam) Fire Suppression Systems
ARA Fire provides product and design assistance for Aqueous (foam) fire suppression systems. We use an extensive line of ANSUL® Foam Products, including premium foam concentrates for both Class A (ordinary combustibles, such as wood and paper) and Class B fires (flammable liquids).
The ANSUL® AQUASONIC™ Water-Atomizing Fire Suppression System is a revolution in Class B fire protection technology. A pair of supersonic atomizers can produce 1.5 trillion water droplets per second – equivalent to covering an Olympic-sized soccer field in one minute.
The AQUASONIC™ Fire Suppression System utilises non-toxic and readily available extinguishing agents (water and nitrogen). The system has few moving parts and uses tested technology with decades of proven service:
- FM approved
- Environmentally safe
- Minimal water discharge
- Effective on Class B fires
- Flexible system piping and atomizer location
This high performance fire suppression system is specifically engineered to protect special hazard applications including:
- Combustion turbine enclosures
- Machinery spaces
- Generator enclosures
- Flammable liquid storage areas.